In the first 5 years of my first company – chaos was everyday!! We made every mistake you could possible make. We raised a lot of cash and we grew from 4 people to 80+ people in one year! I was traveling over 90% of my time. We didn’t even know what we didn’t know. My biggest weakness of the time was holding people accountable.
I was attending a Leadership Summit which was being moderated by Verne Harnish. All through out the day Verne Harnish would throw out different pieces of the Rockefeller Habits Framework. I had no idea what he was talking about so at each break I would ask Verne questions of clarification. After that conference – I emailed Verne every month for 12 months to implement his framework step by step.
Here are the Top 5 Reasons we experienced for having a framework:
- Cultural Clarity –the whole team new why the company existed, what the core values of the individual of the team members and what the BIG HAIRY AUDACIOUS GOAL of the Company- coined by Jim Collins. The goal that we did need to know how to get there but we believed we would achieve in 10-30 years. This allowed our team to make short term decisions today for the long term goal.
- Strategic Clarity – the whole team understood and was confident in the 3 year strategy. This strategy was created through a fundamental collaborative approach with all leaders.
- 12 Month Plan Owned by the Team – since we knew where we wanted to be in 3 years – we were able to build a clear and accountable plan of what we needed to accomplish in 12 months.
- 13 Week Race – Every quarter there was urgency created through out the team to focus on what mattered. There was alignment.
- 36 Month Rolling Forecast Created – and updated every month. This 36 month forecast allowed for the leadership team to have the tough discussions. To create the assumptions required to deliver on the 3 year strategy. And to update the plan month over month. To create the rhythm required to grow the company exponentially.
At the end of the day – all companies need a consistent framework to share the culture, attract the best people to align with the strategic goals in order to execute flawlessly! It does not matter what framework just start using one and evolve from there!